Monday 15 June 2020

Happy Homemaker Monday






The weather

Grey, cloudy and a bit drizzly. Dare I say that I love this weather?! An unpopular opinion, I know, but I love to stay inside in front of the wood fire.



Right now I am

Looking forward to this week being over! It is the last week of school (although they have only been back for two weeks anyway) and it has been so quiet here during the week.

Thinking

That I hope the world will change for the better soon. There are so many wonderful opportunities out there for change, if only we will embrace them.


Th
is quote almost seems like a cliche now, but iis so true.

On my reading pile

I read A LOT! I cannot resist a reading challenge so I have my year long challenges in my online reading group and then I join in with various Booktuber challenges as they pop up.
I also read concurrently - I cannot seem to help myself from having a few different types of books on the go at once. 



Currently, I am reading Shipwrecks by Akira Yoshimura as part of my year long reading of Japanese translations. It was first published in 1982 and translated to English in 2001. Iis about a medieval Japanese fishing village. They live in extreme poverty so when a shiis wrecked iis a time of rejoicing as they can scavenge the cargo. Then a shiis wrecked that has a cargo they are not expecting. I have only read the first chapter so I am not sure if we are going to end up in some dark place when we find out what the cargo is. 

I have just picked up The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love and the History of the World frm the Periodic Table of Elements by Sam Kean on my pile.  How's that for a title?! This is for one of my year long challenges - Non fiction - with this month's theme being Science. 
Someone recommended Sam Kean to me as being an interesting and engaging science read. 

And continuing on with Tell Me Why by Archie Roach. Thiis for my Geography category - read a book from/about Australia. 

On my TV

I have just finished watching Virgin River on Netflix. This was an enjoyable series to knit to. Lots of my favourite tropes - city girl moves to a small town, how will she fit in, gossipy interfering older ladies, gorgeous love interest which of course does not go smoothly, the usual! I may give the book series on which it is based a try.


I may try Homecoming next. I have heard if you liked Black Mirror, you should like this. Anyone watched it?


And of course, waiting for the next season of Jamie (otherwise known as Outlander!) 


Favourite blog post last week

This one by Bex at Subversive Femme as it reminded me that I have this pattern book and now I am definitely planning on knitting this jumper. I am thinking I will knit it in my Ravenclaw house colours of blue and bronze. I am getting together a few different possible combinations so I will be asking for opinions! 


Something fun to share


Just a fun fact! I love my kitty!

On the menu

I have at least one new recipe to try - from my attempt to actually use my cookbooks to cook from rather than as just decoration.

We will definitely be having homemade pizza one night - always a winner.

On my to do list

I have MANY mini skeins to wind for my shop update and some more dyeing to do.
My big project for this week is to sort out and organise my three pantry spaces.

In the craft basket


I have instigated my three projects method, whereby I will work on three projects and rotate new ones in as I finish. This means I have a project to suit every occasion! 

Looking forward to this week

End of school for term 2!

Looking around the house

Don't ask! Looking a bit like a bomb has gone off as I am sorting. Why does it always have to get so messy in order to get tidier?!

From the camera


My little sweetie, Flash.

On my prayer list

I'm going to have to say the whole world. Can we learn and change?

Bible verse


Have a lovely week! 

12 comments:

  1. lovely post and nice array of knitting projects! I always like to see what people are doing during their days and of course what they are reading and watching. I'm trying to read books more instead of reading news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the news is definitely to be avoided at the moment. It is a fine line between being informed and being totally overwhelmed.

      Delete
  2. I love your knitting projects, and your tuxie cat. Tuxies are some of my favorites, next to tabby cats.
    Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He is such a little sweetie! He helps me knit every day!

      Delete
  3. My son had to read that Sam Kean book in his Chemistry class. I picked it up as it sounded super interesting but had trouble getting into it (and I usually love non-fiction). Maybe I'll give it another try. Homecoming is interesting, not my favorite of the Amazon prime shows. Haven't watched season 2 yet. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't picked the chemistry book up yet, just on my pile. I hope I like it as it sounds so interesting. I'm still tossing up about Homecoming as I found another series I am enjoying, The Last Czars.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE your quotes today. I LOVE Virgin River and Outlander, but hubby is retired military and Homecoming just didn't cut it around here. Have a GREAT week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I can definitely see why Homecoming wouldn't be great viewing, after reading what it is about. I haven't actually watched any - someone just recommended it to me. A second series of Virgin River is coming - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your knitting projects. Your cat is so sweet.

    Thank you for joining in my Happy Homemaker Monday, I enjoyed visiting your little corner. :)

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting me and for hosting - it is lovely to see what everyone is up to.

      Delete
  7. 3 projects at once for the knitting? I try to have 1 knit and 1 crochet.
    Virgin River, that looks good, might have to look that up when it gets cold and gray! I prefer cold and gray to too hot. above 25C is just too hot for me.
    cute cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 projects just seems to keep me going! Enugh variety that I can switch it up a bit. I would be happy if it never got above 25 - when it gets to over 40 here in summer it is just too much to bear!

      Delete