Sunday 29 November 2020

Slowly Catching Up With 1932!

 


This jumper is definitely taking longer than I was expecting!

But I am now nearly finished the first sleeve and as long as the weather continues to cooperate (ie.stays cool!), I am hoping to be finished it this week and well on the way with the second sleeve.

I will be choosing a faster knit for the next Stitchcraft issue, that's for sure!

At least now we are in the same month as the issue was published, just 88 years later. 

I have not been able to source either a print or online version of December 1932 Stitchcraft, which is a shame. If anyone has access to one, I would greatly appreciate some photos. So I will plan to move onto January 1933 - hopefully in January 2021! That would please my organisational brain, if I could make a pattern a month in the same month as publication.

Anyway, here is the sleeve I am currently working on.


As I have not much to share (again!), I will share some free knitting patterns from 1932 that I have found online.

Starting with - the Scarlet and White Jumper from Stitchcraft November 1932! Maybe you would like to make your own. I am still the only person making this jumper on Ravelry, so come and join me!


A few of these patterns will send you to Trove, which is an Australian collabaration between the National Library of Australia and various contributors. 

Trove is an absolute treasure trove of delights, as there are hundreds of complete magazines and newspapers from the past. I just love searching through here for hours, so much history to read. 


Here is a blouse in lacy stripes, from the Australian Woman's Mirror, August 23rd 1932.


 

have included thione, even though iis a little earlier. 

A Tennis Jumper from The Catholic Press, 12 November 1931.


A Lace Jumper for Summer, from Table Talk, 6 ctober 1932. This jumper actually has the same lace pattern as the jumper I made from Stitchcraft ctober 1932.  Maybe this Australian publication picked up the pattern from Stitchcraft? it was just popular at the time. 



Table Talk: A Journal for Men and Women was a weekly magazine published in Melbourne, Australia, from 1885 to 1939. It was a racy miof gossip, scandal, politics and, apparently, knitting patterns! Maurice Brodzky, who started the magazine, has been coined as Victoria's first muckraker. 


Women vied to be included in the fashion pages - if you made iinto Table Talk, you were one of the 'it girls' of Melbourne! 

They also published special editions on various topics, such as this jumper pattern collection frm 1935. 

would love to find one of these publications! 


Another Table Talk publication was Matrons'  Knitwear.




You can access the full copy of Matrons' Knitwear, published by Table Talk in 1932, here at the State Library of Victoria archives. 


The final pattern is from the early thirties - there are nspecific dates.


A lovely short sleeved diamond patterned jumper from the Harlequin Knit At Home Series.


See you next week with more progress, I promise! 



3 comments:

  1. Wow - there is a lot of detail in that one. No wonder it takes so long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have given up long ago, only to find it several years later and then continuing. Good on you for not doing that.

    ReplyDelete