Sunday 6 September 2020

Diamond In The Rough


 Need to knit faster! Otherwise I will be showing you this jumper for the next few months - and I will run out of sayings about diamonds!

I have reached the armhole shaping on the front.



As you can see from this close up, it would definitely be neater to knit in the round. The purling back makes the stitches messier, I think. Or maybe it is the yarn? 


I have worked colourwork in the flat before with a plumper yarn and it looked neater than this. 

We will have to wait and see!


While there is not much movement in the jumper, let's take another look at some fashions from the early 1930s.

These are from this wonderful book that I borrowed from the library, Fashion Sketchbook 1920-1960 by John Peacock. 


I love the sketches and particularly that he has added the detail of the fabrics used for the garments.

All so very stylish!







John Peacock has published many fashion books, including a series organised by decades. If my library had it available, I would have borrowed the 1930s Fashion Sourcebook as there would be more detail.


There is a Fashion Sourcebook for each decade from the 1920s to the 1980s. The 80s one is super fun as that is when I was a teenager!

But I am saving my pennies to buy the gorgeous hardback edition, The Complete Fashion Sourcebook, which has all the books in one volume. It also includes a reference section that charts garment shapes through the decades and has biographies of the outstanding designers of each era.



John Peacock also has written The Chronicle of Western Costume, if you would like to travel further back in time. This book has full-colour illustrations and covers chronologically from the ancient world to the late twentieth century. 

I just love browsing through these books.

I will be back next week with more diamonds! 




5 comments:

  1. Your diamonds are looking fantastic. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those books sound amazing. I wouldn't mind having a look at the eighties again as that was my time as well. Not that I followed fashion then or now mind, but the neon colours and the baggy jeans were part of my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, neon! I had a whole set of plastic bangles in all the neon! And baggy overalls ala the Come On Eileen music video! What fun.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, it's such a pretty knitting pattern! I just love it! I'm about 3/4 of the way through a shawl pattern with silk yarn and I'm so pleased with it. I'm hoping against hope that I might just finish it by September 22nd. A strange goal, I know, but the pattern is inspired by The Lord of the Rings sort of, specifically Bilbo Baggins' birthday, and that is the 22nd of September! :)

    Also, I did nominate you for the Sunshine Blogger Award! Feel free to play if you wish!

    https://cabdriversandcoffeepots.blogspot.com/2020/09/the-sunshine-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds lovely! I look forward to seeing it. Thank you so much for the nomination - you are so kind!

      Delete