Monday 1 February 2021

January Wrap Up

 About halfway through January, I discovered Hand Me My Knitting's Youtube channel and her no-buy year for 2021. 

Her decision to knionly from stash particularly resonated with me, as believe me, I have enough stash to last many lifetimes! 

It has already really helped me to be more mindful with my purchasing - just because something ion sale doesn't mean I need to rush to grab it! Sales come around fairly often! 

So I have completed five projects from stash yarn in January.

The Bee Hive Cowl used 328m / 82g of yarn, from stash purchased in June 2020.


 
I made two tinsel garlands, per Arne and Carlos. These are so much fun and I cannot wait to add them to my tree in 2021. They are just knitted i-cords, using King Cole Tinsel yarn. These used 72m / 50g of yarn each, from stash purchased in December 2020.



I also finished my first Icelandic jumper. I made a child's size so I could practice the technique and I loved it! 

Kambur used 462.8m / 230g of Knit Picks Wooof the Andes Worsted, purchased in April/May 2019. 


And lastly, I made the Mercury Socks. These used 360.8m / 88g of Garnstudio Drops Fabel, purchased in February 2017.


They have been added to my very first boof socks, which true to the no-buy year, is a shoebox from my son's new school shoes! 


Thus, in January, I
 knitted 1295.6m / 500g of stash yarn. 

Yay!

But, I did slip off the wagon and purchase some yarn. I have been thinking about shopping triggers and what makes me feel that I need to purchase something. And this purchase was made because the shop sent me an email to say my rewards points were due to expire. SI had to use them, right?! I could have let them expire but sales and discounts are definitely my shopping triggers and I couldn't let those points go to waste. So I actually purchased 2080m / 500g yarn - more meterage as iis all sock yarn. Thiis less than I wanted to buy - definitely less than I would probably have purchased previously. 

 I did not purchase any patterns. All of the patterns I used were either free on Ravelry or already in my pattern stash. 

Do you have any particular goals or plans for 2021? 

I'm looking forward to seeing what I can achieve in February! 


6 comments:

  1. Your Beehive cowl is gorgeous and I must say the intricate pattern you knitted into the jumper is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cowl is fantastic. Great result.
    At the moment all shops are closed and that means no yarns for me, as I like to see and feel them in the flesh before buying. So, for now anyway I am using up yarn bought a while ago or even a long time ago. For now, as the shops are bound to open up again at some point and I found a few new ones in the area...

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: I love Arne and Carlos as well and have several books by them. This tinsel I had never seen though, but looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find "shopping triggers" a very interesting concept. I find I get itchy to buy yarn when my stash gets down to 10 kilometres. I get anxious about how much yarn I have when my stash is up around 15 kilometres. Since I average about 20 kms a year, that SHOULD (but does not) mean that none of my stash is more than a year old. Can you tell I've put way too much thought into this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do such beautiful work Jayne.

    ReplyDelete