Sunday 12 July 2020

Ta Da!! October 1932 Is Finished!!



I am SOOOO excited to have the first Adventures In Stitchcraft knitting project finished! And even more exciting, I have deemed it a success!


This week I finished the second sleeve, knitted the pink snake with eyes (the neckband) and the white snake (the tie).


I have definitely never knitted a garment with a neckband construction like this!

I had to cast off 6 stitches on one row and then cast them on again on the next row. Do you think my brain could remember how to do this?! I have used this technique so many times but I just couldn't remember. Luckily for us, we have Youtube and blog tutorials at our fingertips at all times, so I could just look it up and keep on knitting.
But in 1932, this was how you accessed knitting advice, unless you had a knitting neighbour or relative on hand.

 
This was printed in the middle of my pattern instructions. We are so used to instant everything that we cannot even imagine having to post a letter and wait for the reply! 


I joined all these seams using mattress stitch, except setting in the sleeves where I used back stitch. All the pieces fitted together perfectly - always a win! I blocked all the pieces separately prior to sewing together.


Then started to attach the pink snake with eyes, using flat slip stitch. This needed a tiny bit of fudging along the back neck edge but it was minimal. I probably could have blocked it slightly smaller and it would have been fine.


Then thread through the white snake and all done! 

 
It used 291 grams of Bendigo Woollen Mills Luxury 4ply in the limited edition colour Rose Petals. So a very economical jumper to make!

After making adjustments in needle size (I went up to 3.75mm and 4.5mm), the size has come out at approximately 40". It is quite forgiving in size as the lacy pattern and the ribbing gives it a bit of stretch.



As you can see, I am not a size 34"! But I think it looks OK.

I need to search the op shops for one of those wide flexible black patent tie up belts from the 80s. 
Like this one.


And I like using a brooch to fasten the two ends of the tie. 


This brooch was another $2 op shop find. 

The pattern itself was very easy to follow. For a vintage pattern, it had quite detailed instructions. In fact, the majority of the instructions were line by line. 
It was also very easy to piece together.

If you are after an easy 1932 pattern, then I would highly recommend this one! 

I am now very much looking forward to taking you to November 1932! Next week we will take a look at the patterns from the second issue of Stitchcraft and make a decision as to my next project. So exciting!




17 comments:

  1. It is a really beautiful jumper. You are so clever! My knitting skills are so very basic, I am seriously envious of what you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't look at all easy! I'm impressed. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is always a boost to have a success!

      Delete
  3. I like that fancy collar. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One of my favourite things about vintage patterns is all the different necklines.

      Delete
  4. My mum keeps harking on about the mattress stitch, but I have yet to master it. I have started on some Norwegian patterns and they all use a knit in the round method. No seams, apart from sleeves.

    The result of your knitting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum always taught me to backstitch all seams, so this is actually the first garment I have mattress stitched. It really does make all the difference. I do love a knit with less seams though!

      Delete
  5. Jayne, that sweater is amazing. Such a huge amount of work. I have never seen a neckband put together that way, well done by you. Congrats on a wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It certainly is a different neckline but it worked really well.

      Delete
  6. Jayne, your jumper is gorgeous. Love the neckline and the tie cinched with the pretty brooch is perfect. Such a pretty pattern and I must say, it looks lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so happy with how it turned out - fingers crossed the next project works out as well!

      Delete
  7. It's beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a relief when something works out well!

      Delete
  9. Thank you! I am looking forward to starting the next project.

    ReplyDelete