Friday 24 February 2012

End of Summer Nature Table

Rocking and rolling the boat on the sea
Rocking and rolling with you and with me
Wind come and blow us so gently along
Mermaids come guide us and sing us a song.


Sail, sail, pretty boat with me
Sail, sail, o'er the shining sea.
Out on the waves that dance and play,
Sail till the close of day.
Rock, rock, little boat with me,
Rock, rock, on the stormy sea.
Out on the waves that toss and foam,
Rock till you bring me home.

(Poems from Spindrift.)



It is nearly the end of summer here, so we are making the most of it with our nature table. Paper boats rocking on the sea (which I had to google how to make, as I couldn't remember!), Father Sun shining in the sky (suspended on a length of fishing line),  a windswept tree (which will have a 'clay' base, when we manage to make some more, rather than being in a glass bottle!) and just a few shells. Whirlwind is definitely not a subscriber to the 'less is more' theory. That is how many shells were in the basket and they were ALL going on the table!


Farewell, summer!

P.S. When I went to link this to The Magic Onions, I found this post on making paper boats that puts our little efforts to shame! What a beautiful boat and I must definitely remember the oil treatment idea.

11 comments:

  1. I'm really feeling summer coming to a close too, I've been thinking about our Autumn nature table :-)

    And Master D is similarly not a less is more lad! Your table is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be being three years old - you can never have enough! I just dyed a new silk for the autumn table and am quite looking foward to autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful table. We are on the other side of the world and am looking forward to spring starting. I would love it if you would share at our Sharing Saturday (http://craftymomsshare.blogspot.com/2012/02/sharing-saturday-8.html). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just went over and shared! You will be having daffodils soon - my absolute favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your little branch tree and boats. We are just going into spring, getting quite excited to see all the flower bulbs bloom. I love fall too,I look forward to it every year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love autumn, but early spring is so beautiful. I love tulips and daffodils so it is very exciting to see them every year.

      Delete
  6. What beautiful summer colors, love your tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - it is was thrilling that the wool on the tree and the needle felted sun was from our own sheep!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you will share with us again this week!

    ReplyDelete