Monday 18 May 2015

Unnoticed Mothers

Mother's Night was held at the boys' school last Friday. It is a night held every year near Mother's Day, where the children hold chapel, the mums visit their classrooms and receive a gift they have made, and we all have a pizza dinner together.

Whirlwind's card and painting

Legoman's card, vase and bath salts
This year, the principal's message was about noticing our mums. He said, sure we know they are there every day, but do we really notice them?
Then he played this video, which I thought was fabulous - all the mums laughed! I'm not sure how many of the children took it on board, but the older ones probably did.

Unnoticed Moms LLC




The general gist of the video is that there is a bureau for all the unnoticed tasks mums do, like laundry, cooking, etc. At the end of the list was that the mum prayed for her son every day. Unnoticed by him, but she prayed for him every day. 
And that is so important; it is the most important and powerful task we can do for our children every day. Dirty clothes don't matter as much as daily prayer for them.




I have been reading Praying The Scriptures For Your Children.




I also found these resources:

31 Biblical Virtues To Pray For Your Children

8 Great Bible Verses To Pray Over Your Child

7 Things To Pray For Your Children

5 Scriptural Prayers For Your Son

5 Scriptures To Pray Over Your Children

and there were many, many more.



From motheringfromscratch.com

From lovethispic.com

I especially like the last line in the above prayer, as it definitely is an honour to be a parent. Maybe it doesn't feel like it all the time, particularly when we wonder if all we do is even noticed. But my children are the greatest gift God has given me, no matter what.
And every day I need to strive harder to be worthy of such a precious gift.



6 comments:

  1. i especially like the honor of being a parent part also. My 2 daughters are grown now (27 and 24) and I don't see them as often as I would like. But, it has always been an honor to be their mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest has just left home this year and it is strange not seeing her every day. I'm sure I'll get used to it! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post Jayne and I am glad that the school thought to have a mothers night what a great idea. The cards your boys made you are lovely and they obviously think a lot of you as their mum. Thanks for the reminder that it is an honour to be a parent. Thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terri. It certainly is lovely to see them talk about their mums. My six year old read his reflection on why his mum was special - because she and I do gardening together. So sweet!
      I think we do sometimes forget that God has given us a great honour and privilege in parenting our children. Goodness knows, it is frustrating as well! Which makes it easy to forget that they have been entrusted into our care for such a short time really and we must do the very best we can.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this encouraging message on the Art of Home-Making Mondays Jayne! :) I hope you have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete