Wednesday 20 January 2016

Yarn Along

Joining in today at Small Things for Yarn Along.

I have just finished reading Tattoos On The Heart: The Power Of Boundless Compassion by Gregory Boyle (founder of Homeboy Industries). I am pretty sure this was a recommendation from someone at Yarn Along a while back. And thanks to whoever was reading it as it is a truly uplifting read. Tragic but uplifting. The number of stories he told about finally making a breakthrough with one of the boys, only to have them shot down by rival gangs soon after, is heartbreaking. But there are so many success stories as well. And not success stories as some may see them - no overnight millionaires, or superhero stories. Just success in that many of the men went on to hold jobs and have families, which is the type of life many of them could not see as being in their future.




A quote from the book I found inspirational. I know I can feel this way as well, that I am not really 'enough' for Jesus as I am now. That if only I worked harder, studied my Bible more, was just 'more', then I would be more acceptable. This quote showed me I am enough right now.

"Jesus says, "You are the light of the world." I like even more what Jesus doesn't say. He does not say, "One day, if you are more perfect and try really hard, you'll be light." He doesn't say "If you play by the rules, cross your T's and dot your I's, then maybe you'll become light." No. He says, straight out, "You are light." It is the truth of who you are, waiting only for you to discover it. So no need to contort yourself to be anything other than who you are."

Another quote from the book.

For knitting, I am working on Ode To Doris by Kelly Brooker. Wonderful designs!

This is the first one I have nearly completed:



I have knitted this one in my hand-dyed alpaca. It is very hard to see the colours in the photo, but this is what it looked like in the skein.


I have started another Ode To Doris as well, this time in a mix of my hand-dyed 4ply. I am using two strands of a pale red tonal and a multi-coloured. I am liking the way it is looking so far.


And I managed to get some tonal dyeing done this week - much quicker and easier than the hand-painted yarn when the boys are home!


My favourite is the yellow!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone has been reading and knitting. I'm sure I will be adding to my enormously long list of books I need to read.

21 comments:

  1. I love the yarn you have dyed, they are so vibrant, delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do like bright colours, especially for baby knitting.

      Delete
  2. love, love those colours so pretty. That sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a great read. At first, when I read the blurb and found it was about gangs, I wasn't going to read it. But I am so glad I did - well worth it.

      Delete
  3. Wow such beautiful colours Jayne. That is a very pretty pattern you are knitting.

    That book sounds like it would be a great read.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is a great pattern. I am planning on purchasing it in other yarn weights as well as I really prefer 4ply for baby knitting.

      Delete
  4. Your knitting looks beautiful - what a nice pattern and the yarn is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the purple yarn on the right! They all came out real nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I must get to skeining them as then they look nicer.

      Delete
  6. I LOVE the green yarn. And I'll be anxious to see the sweater with the two different yarns when it is farther along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the green too, a sort of mossy colour. Knitted together, the red is coming out almost pinkish. I like it so far.

      Delete
  7. The sweater and the yarn are beautiful. I just faved the pattern on ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All Kelly's patterns are lovely. And really simple too.

      Delete
  8. You've really made an excellent work, with a wonderful natural color yarn, I'm in love with it !
    Thank you for sharing your lovely work, my darling,
    have a blessed remainder of your week
    I hug you dearly
    Dany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am itching to get some more dyeing done, but am waiting for my yarn order to arrive. Have a blessed week.

      Delete
  9. Lovely yarn! That sounds like an inspirational book. I like to remind myself that all my attempts to add to what Christ accomplished in the cross are actually signs of failure as I try to be independent from him. No "trying" necessary, just continually believing and acting on His promise of love and forgiveness daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That is so true, that is why I found the book so inspirational. It was a reminder that we don't need to 'do' anything, that God's grace is for us all because of Christ and the cross. I am definitely a 'doer' so I find I need this reminder often.

      Delete
  10. Lovely yarn! That sounds like an inspirational book. I like to remind myself that all my attempts to add to what Christ accomplished in the cross are actually signs of failure as I try to be independent from him. No "trying" necessary, just continually believing and acting on His promise of love and forgiveness daily.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Your yarn dying is lovely - so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete