Sunday 12 February 2017

Adventures In Stitchcraft - February 1937 Issue

Thank you for joining me for another post in Adventures In Stitchcraft!




This week, I would love to show you inside the February 1937 issue of Stitchcraft.


We have already seen the lovely jumper on the front cover.





 


The pattern is, of course, sized for a much smaller figure than mine, but that is part of the challenging fun of this adventure!





This is the transfer that is also featured on the front cover. Could you believe, that both the February and March issues that I purchased on etsy still had the transfers and in perfect condition?! Those tissue-thin transfers are 80 years old and perfect. Amazing!
On a side note, until I did this maths it never fully occurred to me that these issues are so old. Not sure why! Just shows things never really go out of style!

Speaking of which, I read this fascinating post while researching the 1930s from Vintage Gal - How To Get A 1930s Look Without Spending A Fortune. The answer is the 1970s! Many of the fashions in the 70s were based on the 30s. So clever - this post is well worth a read, as is Vintage Gal's whole blog.






Imagine having the figure to wear this suit! And the time to knit it!







Love the women's knits for this issue. I think I like the short sleeved rib one best - rib is a very forgiving stitch.




Cooking this issue is scones and biscuits. I agree with Mary Blake when she says:


'In cold, grey February weather, the nicest time of the day is that which finds everyone gathered round the fire for afternoon tea.'


Except of course, for me that would be more like cold July weather!
We still love a delicious Devonshire (or Cornish) tea when the boys get home from school.






Until recently, I did not know that the order of jam and cream made the difference between whether you were eating a Devonshire tea or a Cornish tea. I am a jam first, cream on top person, which makes this a Cornish tea. Vice versa for Devonshire tea.
Who knew?!


And now some of the advertising from this issue.






For my project from this issue, I am thinking the short sleeved rib jumper, possibly with smaller buttons. Not sure on colour choice yet. What do you think?




The magazine states:


'Here is a jumper that will add a snap to your Spring suit! Choose a neutral beige or grey and pick up the colour of the suit in the scalloped edgings and covered buttons. The charming original uses grey and green.'


The yellow is just some discolouration on the paper. It is pretty old!


This is designed for a 32-34 inch bust (umm, not me, in other words!) So this will involve some re-sizing.
The yarn used in 1937 was called Azalea crochet wool and was knitted using UK size 10 needles (which is 3.25mm or US size 3).
Azalea crochet wool is the equivalent of a modern 3ply. Phew, that knitting will take a while!


And take note - when looking for information on vintage yarns, you cannot go past this post at Louisa Amelia Jane. SO many yarns listed here! This is always so helpful when I am hoping to knit a vintage pattern where I have never heard of the yarn used.




Looking through my Ravelry stash, I have a few 4ply yarns that I may be able to use.


I can go conservative, true to vintage, and use some of my solid coloured Bendigo Woollen Mill yarns.





Or I could go colourful and totally off vintage with some variegated Opal yarns.






What do you think? No variegated yarns in 1937, but they are fun! I do love the blue or green as well though. Or maybe another suggestion.


Hope you enjoyed the February 1937 issue of Stitchcraft. See you next week!



8 comments:

  1. Such a joy to visit and take a glimpse through the vintage magazine. Love the pattern you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lucky you have the old transfers! That two piece looks very sleek. I've always wanted to knit a dress or tunic to wear over jeans or stockings. I think variegated yarn will be a nice twist on a vintage pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - totally amazing that the transfers are still intact! The suit is just gorgeous, but would make me look like a dumpling, I'm afraid! I'm just not tall enough.

      Delete
  3. I just love the nostalgia of iron on transfers. It reminds me so much of my late Grandmother who taught me how to sew and knit. I love the blue yarn but the 2nd ball of variegated may work well. I would knit a swatch of rib to see how it looks. I am plus size and definitely wouldn't fit vintage patterns. Maybe you could give a tutorial on resizing when you get it mastered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the transfers - I certainly won't be using them! The blue yarn is gorgeous. I started a previous vintage jumper in that yarn but lost the pattern and had to undo it.
      I use Tasha's resizing tutorials for vintage patterns. Very in-depth.
      http://bygumbygolly.com/tag/resizing-knitting-patterns/

      Delete
  4. It seems I am a Cornish Tea gal, too. Love the knit you are going to make. The variegated yarn is pretty, though I do love that blue. I love looking at your vintage stitchcraft mag posts. Everyone was so thin and small in the 1930's weren't they.....or so it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the blue too. I think that is what I will use.
      Everyone was very thin - I guess it just shows the terrible things access to unlimited processed and junk food has done to us. I think we have lost the ability to eat just enough, just what we actually need, and not extra.

      Delete