Tuesday 10 November 2020

My Favourite Free Baby Knitting Patterns

 




Looking for the perfect knitting pattern to create as a gift for a new baby? Look no further! 

I love knitting for babies as the patterns are so cute and iis the ultimate satisfaction to create a handmade gift fairly quickly. 

I have chosen patterns that are for newborn or 0-3 months. As these free patterns can almost be called a series now, I will aim to do a childrens' post as well soon.



Leaf Love Dress by Taiga Hilliard Designs

This sweet little dress is very versatile as it is knitted as a dress for 0-3 months but will continue to fit as a tunic for quite a while longer.

Be sure to take a look at the other patterns by this designer - there are many more free patterns available.



Ode To Doris by Kelly van Niekerk.

I can personally testify to the ease of knitting for this one. This is my go to pattern for a quick baby gift. It is knitted in DK/8ply so knits up very quickly and there is virtually no finishing as it is knitted in one piece and the sleeves are picked up in the round. 

Again, check out the designer's page on Ravelry as there are many other patterns to drool over.


Baby Uggs by Autumn Street

Such cute boots! These would be perfect if you need a little boy gift. And they would be super quick to knit up.



Baby Kimono by Elizabeth Jarvis.

A lovely basic newborn knit that you can customise. Some of the examples from other knitters on Ravelry including adding stripes or a lacy pattern, adding knitted flowers, embroidery (including one with a toadstool!) or using ribbon as a closure rather than buttons.

You could make this as a gift for every new baby and just change it up!


Baby Wood Nymph Hat by Faith A D

I do love a hat with a little top knot! I don't know why but they just look too adorable. A very quick and simple rib design.

This pattern link is just for the hat. But with any hat pattern, you can always make bootees to match and vice versa. 



Baby Brioche by Jen Hurley

As brioche is super stretchy, this garment says it will fit from infant to 12 months. This looks like the perfect knit if you want to try some brioche but do not feel up to committing to a huge garment. It also uses something called a Channel Island cast on which I have never heard of - has anyone used this technique before?

Probably a more challenging garment but it looks super cute and would be very comfy.


Intarsia Baby Sweater by Phildar Design Team

Now let's practice intarsia! This is so cute! I think it would also make a super adorable Christmas sweater - maybe you could even make the reindeer's nose red! 

You do have to sign up for free to LoveKnitting to download this pattern. 



Perfect Newborn Socks by Tabitha Gandee

Tiny socks are just the cutest! A pretty box of three, five or seven pairs of these in various colours would make a lovely gift. 




Danika Baby Jacket by Marianna Mel

For those of us (looking at myself here!) who like traditional styles, this is a cute little star stitch baby jacket. You can knit it either with or without a collar. At the end of the blog post for this pattern, you can find the link to the matching hat and mittens. 

Marianna is another blogger who is extremely generous and provides lots of free patterns, so do take a look at her blog at Marianna's Lazy Daisy Days.




Poppy Penguin Hat and Cocoon Set by Melody Rogers

I just had to leave the pattern with the most adorable photo for last! I cannot stand how cute this is!

It is showing as a paid pattern on Ravelry but if you scroll down the pattern page, you will see where Melody has kindly added a link to a free version on her blog. 


I hope you enjoyed visiting some adorable baby knits with me. 

Let me know in the comments if you have knitted any of these patterns or if you have any plans to make any.

Also let me know what you would like to explore next in the free knitting patterns series!
















2 comments:

  1. Ooooooh, that penguin is too cute for words. I love several of those patterns, but am not sure if, when and for who I would be making it. No children myself, so no grandchildren to come either and all my friends' children are too young still...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Maine!
    I happened to stumble upon your sweet blog while visiting another friend's blog...I have fallen in love with your patterns! I, too, love to knit (and other home crafts as well) and I am going to check out some of the adorable children's patterns you have listed...as winter sets in here on the coast I am always looking for knitting projects for my little grandchildren.

    I will be back to visit again!
    Sweet blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete