Wednesday 22 February 2017

Yarn Along - Time For A Baby Knit

Joining with Ginny for Yarn Along.


With granddaughter's first birthday coming up soon, I thought it was time for a baby knit.
So I have cast on Little Vintage Sunday Coat to make for her.




It is a gorgeous pattern, and very simple, from King Cole Baby Book No 5. I have Book 5, 6 and 7 and My daughter was having a hard time choosing what she would like made! I think I will be knitting quite a few patterns from these books in the near future.


At the moment, I have two books on the go. One easy fiction, War Babies by Annie Murray, and a non-fiction, Free To Learn by Peter Gray.




I always enjoy reading about World War II, so this should be a quick and fun read.


Free To Learn is about how we have let unstructured play all but disappear in our childrens' lives and how this is affecting their ability to learn from the world around them and their own experiences. I seem to keep coming back to these books that just reinforce how I feel about schooling and the current education system. Like rubbing salt in an open wound; but I can't seem to stop myself.





8 comments:

  1. I LOVE the vintage baby coat, such a delight to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it will become a favourite pattern.

      Delete
  2. I am in love with that vintage baby coat. How gorgeous it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is - and so easy to knit! Can't wait to share photos of grandbaby wearing it.

      Delete
  3. That little vintage coat is so sweet! Your daughter has great taste.
    Free To Learn is one of my all time favorite books on children. If you can find it, the Sudbury Valley School book "Free at Last" is very good, especially for rubbing a little more salt in those wounds. I happen to have this same habit. Looks like you have great taste too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look for that book too. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. i enjoyed reading your post. Absolutely love the little coat you are knitting. When is your granddaughter's first birthday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - the coat is coming along nicely. Her birthday is 31st March, so I should have no problems getting it finished in time!

      Delete