Wednesday 25 January 2012

I Love Books

OK, I am a bookaholic. I have LOTS of books. If there was a Book Buyers Anonymous, my hubby would sign me up immediately.
Homeschooling allows you to collect books. I really enjoy reading childrens/teen fiction, especially historical.
My first book club meeting of 2012 is next week. We are reading Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks. I will admit that I am only a third of the way through - I normally leave it to the last week so it is fresh in my mind. I have been waiting to read this since it came out but knew we were having it at book club. I LOVED Year of Wonders, although the plague is not the most cheerful topic!
I am finding it compelling so far, but I have spoken to others who either did not like the language, finding it stilted and hard to follow, had issues with the religious content or issues with the submissive behaviour of the women. These are, however, fitting with the time period of the novel so I find it adds to the atmosphere and authenticity.
I will see how the rest of it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment