Tuesday 7 July 2015

Home From Our Holiday

We are home from our short holiday. All had a good time, including Miss Ballerina, who stayed home to study, work and enjoy the peace and quiet.

We left for Melbourne for the first day, stopping in Ballarat for lunch.


Keeping lunch away from the swans at Lake Wendouree, Ballarat
When we reached Melbourne, we went straight to Mum and Dad's to visit before Dad starts his next chemo and stem cell treatment this week. 
That night, hubby and Legoman set off on the tram to the MCG to the football, Hawthorn v Collingwood. It was a very close game and Legoman LOVED it!

Up the next morning and off to Apollo Bay. 


Love the hills leading down to Apollo Bay



Metal fish at the wharf fish and chip shop, Apollo Bay
My sister, brother-in-law and niece joined us for one day. We all went for a walk called Maits Rest Rainforest Walk. I just love forests, trees, greenery of any sort, so believe me, I have culled my photos right down so as not to bore you with one hundred photos of this forest!






Whirlwind so wanted to spot some parrots but they weren't exactly walking quietly!


Cuddlepie spent some of the time back at our unit making a forest of his own

Some of the rolling hills just out of Apollo Bay


Looking back to the town
One of our stops on the way home was Loch Ard Gorge near the Twelve Apostles. It is named after a ship, the Loch Ard, that was wrecked here in 1878. You can read about it here. There were only two survivors. The ship was carrying luxury goods and amazingly, this porcelain peacock was recovered intact.








The two survivors reached this beach 

The ship was wrecked on the rocks at far left of the photo. The gorge where they washed ashore is to the right.
We had a lovely time away, but funnily, Whirlwind wanted to get home to start gardening again! He is so like me!

Good to be home and look forward to catching up!

4 comments:

  1. You live in such a beautiful part of the world and one day I hope to see it in person, but for now I will enjoy seeing it thru your eyes.
    Have fun gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Great Ocean Road really is spectacular - I hope to live there some day! Lots of gardening done today so I am really pleased with that.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos. I'm a bit ashamed to say that living in NSW my experience of VIC is very limited. Must make time to go on holiday that way soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been up to the zoo for a while either - would love to go again before the boys are too old.
      Come over anytime - I'll have the kettle on!

      Delete