Tuesday, 14 July 2015

Roasted Tomato Sauce

I am planning on being very busy this spring and summer, with planting, gardening, harvesting and preserving. So while the slower season of winter is still here, I am planning to stock up my freezer and pantry with easy make meals for those days when I just want to stay in the garden. This recipe fits the bill exactly.

Coles had tomatoes on special this week, so it was time to make some Roasted Tomato Sauce. 
I found this recipe two years ago when I purchased The Quarter Acre Farm by Spring Warren.

It is a great read, very funny. The basic premise is discussed in the introduction.

'Starting on July 1, I pledged that 75% of all the food I ate (by weight) would come from our garden, hereafter known as the Quarter Acre Farm. The other 25% would be used as I wished on grains, dairy, meat, chocolate or Boston cream pie.'

This tomato recipe is fantastic if, like me, you have not mastered the art of removing tomato skins easily or, also like me, you are just looking for the easy option. 

Basically, you bung in a whole lot of veggies, cook them down and puree them. Done!

I had tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, spinach, celery, onion, garlic, capsicum and some parsley.

Chop all the veggies - don't have to be pretty as it will all be pureed. Put them in a roasting pan with a splosh of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Put in the oven set to 230 degrees C. Cook for thirty minutes, then stir. Cook for another thirty minutes, then stir. Repeat at thirty minute intervals until the vegetables look like glop (told you it was the best recipe ever!) This can take two to four hours. Then turn off the oven and leave the pan in there overnight. 
In the morning, it will look somewhat like this:

Now just puree, using whichever method you prefer. I used a handheld Bamix. 

Then just clean the walls as you were too lazy to transfer it from the, let's face it, too shallow roasting pan.

I did try to be careful, I promise!

You can add water to make it saucier, but I leave it thick to freeze and then add water later if I want. 
I freeze in 3 cup amounts in zip lock bags.

I have used this sauce for pasta, pizza, added to pumpkin soup, in beef stew, the list goes on. It is so versatile.
I cannot wait until I can make this sauce completely from produce from my own little farm. That will be an exciting day!

I would love to hear of any recipes or planning techniques you use for that busy time of year.


  1. oh that look fantastic! typically I had plenty of opportunity to buy tomato plants and a few people offered them to me for free,and I declined because I don't like eating tomatoes on their own and I thought they would end up being wasted, I can't believe I didn't think of sauce! definitely next year haha :D xx

    1. Definitely - I would grow lots of tomatoes just to make this! I just love that you do not have to skin and seed the tomatoes - lazy bones me!

  2. This sounds like a great recipe Jayne. I will save this one for later when I have some summer tomatoes. A great way to use excess veggies.


    1. Yes, it is a great recipe as you can put in whatever you like. I have even put peaches in when we had an excess and that was really yummy.