Monday 20 July 2020

Happy Homemaker Monday







Joining today with Diary of a Stay At Home Mom for Happy Homemaker Monday.

I missed blogging last week as our internet was down. It is surprising how stressful that can be! For someone who is not in love with technology, I was kind of surprised by how much I really missed the internet. It was especially difficult to keep up with Etsy. I just had to call it a holiday week and not worry!

The weather

You guessed it, still wet! It is the middle of winter after all! My son was able to play his first game of football for the season on Saturday (the season normally starts in April) and it was a rain free day. So no muddy footy uniform to wash which is a bonus! It was still cold with a strong wind so we watched from the car.

Right now I am

Catching up on listings for the Etsy shop now that the internet is back. Also packaging up this month's Fairy Tales Mystery Yarn Club parcels to send out next week. I really love this month's yarns - I can't wait to show you!

Thinking

Sometimes (most of the time!), I think too much! I tend to be a worrier and over planner. I am trying not to think too much about certain things and trying to go with the flow a bit more. It is hard for a list making planner who loves to have all the boxes ticked!


On my reading pile


I just finished reading The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa for my Japanese books in translation category. 
This book was published in Japan in 2003 and the English translation was published in 2008.
I love so many Japanese books for their gentle quirkiness and this was no exception. It was a sad, sweet, gentle story about the love and friendship that develops between an elderly mathematics professor and his housekeeper and her son. What makes this relationship unique is that the professor had an accident years before and he has a short term memory of only eighty minutes. Every morning he has forgotten the housekeeper. It is a lovely story.

I have now started The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi. I choose this book as I have always loved books about India and one of the letters for my alphabet reading challenge for July is 'J'. It is also a Reese's Book Club choice and there have been some great books in that club.
I am up to chapter 5 and really enjoying it so far. 

On my TV

Outlander season five is now available to preorder on DVD - surely it will be on Netflix soon! Please!!!!!

Until then, I have been watching The Crimson Field, a BBC series about field doctors and nurses in World War I.


One of the surgeons is played by Richard Rankin who plays Roger in Outlander. So I am still able to listen to his gorgeous accent!

Unfortunately this was another one of those series that was cancelled, after only one season. The writer said she had planned another four series, so I am very disappointed that it was cancelled. I was really enjoying it. 

And just for laughs, I have been loving the new season of Nailed It!


Oh my, this has me rolling around with uncontrollable laughter. It is such a fun show, well worth watching if you need some light relief and just a joyous few hours. I say to myself I will just watch one episode before bed and it always turns into more!
I think what I like best about this show is there is no competitive backstabbing and noone is taking themself too seriously and thinking they are 'all that'. Everyone is an underdog and I love it!

The sloth cake was funny!



Mind you, a cake that needs to be suspended in the air is never going to be easy!

Favourite blog post from last week

This blog post, Freedoms No One Can Take Away, from 5 Acres And A Dream really resonated with me. 
So many people seem focused on themselves and what the world owes them, that they have the freedom to act as they please due to free speech, etc.  This post turns the concept of these freedoms on its head and asks us to look instead at freedoms that we can and should live out every day.
Such as we have the freedom to be kind, to be patient, to respect others. 

The one that particuarly resonated with me was 'the freedom to let others have a different belief or opinion.' As someone who has suffered many putdowns due to my weird and different beliefs, I hope one day that we can all respect each other's opinions and differences and not feel the need to criticise others. 

Something fun to share

Some more Nailed It! cakes as they are just so much fun!





On the menu

I will make a plan soon, I promise!

On my to do list

My youngest boys started homeschooling this past week and I was just doing day to day plans. I need to sit down and make the plans for the rest of the year. It is hard to know what to include as I feel they have missed so much. I can only catch up what I can though.

In the craft basket

Not much progress on the current projects. But I am nearly finished this vintage baby hood using the leftover pink yarn from my jumper.


It reminds me of the Pussycat Hat!

I ended up with a long rectangle like this.


And being a vintage pattern, the instructions were less than clear as to sewing it together. I had to pick up stitches to work a rib border on the lower edge. Which is the lower edge?! Then it just says sew across the top of the bonnet. 

I think I have worked out what it means!


What do you think? Nailed It or not?!

Looking forward to this week

Well, it is my 50th birthday next Monday. Not looking forward to that so much as being able to see people!
We are planning a weekend trip to Beechworth and Shepparton next weekend as we are still able to travel regionally. My brother lives in Beechworth and my oldest daughter and two granddaughter are in Shepparton. My younger daughter is going to travel to Shepparton from Geelong. I haven't seen any of them since March so fingers crossed the situation doesn't change during the week. Everything is very much day by day at the moment as there have been more regional cases popping up. Who knows if we will all be back in lockdown by next weekend?

Looking around the house

My youngest son decided he would like to do some flower arranging. 


He even found this flat piece of redgum in the firewood pile as a tray. He did very well as there really is not much flowering at the moment. The yellow ones are actually my pak choy, some of which started flowering. Using what we have!

From the camera

My favourite thing would have to be my finished jumper from Adventures In Stitchcraft October 1932. I love it, especially as it worked out well and actually fits!




I am looking forward to starting my November 1932 project.

Inspirational quote

My son is using this book for his copywork at the moment, 365 Days Of Wonder. There are lots of wonderful quotes.


It seems that kindness is on my mind a lot at the moment. 


11 comments:

  1. Happy birthday for Monday!
    When I lived in Bundy my internet and land line went down every time the ground got soaked in rain. I used to wait to see the Telstra guys set up their little safety fence on the footpath across the road to work on the underground cables (or whatever it was they worked on) . It sometimes took a couple of days for the service to be fixed.
    The yellow nailed it cake on the right bears a slight resemblance to Snoopy's face.
    I smiled when I read your comment about your 'weird and different beliefs'. My perspectives can be quite quirky at times which can leave people either speechless or stammering to find a reply. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to airing my opinions in conversation - unless I am tired and things sort of pop out Homer Simpson style. Doh! It takes me a long time to reveal myself to others but that is just my INFJ personality.
    That James family must have been a pretty smart bunch. I wonder what the dinner conversation was like in their home while they were growing up? Very deep I expect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Internet can be frustrating! I am an INFJ too - apparently we are quite rare. I know what you mean; I tend to keep my opinions to myself as well. Maybe that is why I enjoy blogging. I can say things and people can take them or leave them, as they like. At least you leave people speechless or stammering. Most people I know just shoot me down in a patronising way. Maybe I am too much of a doormat?! :)
    Thanks for the birthday wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those Nailed It cakes, too funny! Hope your birthday plans all work out. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a fun series! Thank you - we will see how it all goes.

      Delete
  4. I really dislike when our internet goes out! It is stressful! The sweater is really cute!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't even worn it out anywhere yet; I have a tendency to forget new knits and just keep wearing the old favourites.

      Delete
  5. Happy upcoming birthday.

    I have been watching Masterchef Australia (the best version in my mind), although it seems to be from a couple of years back. Never mind. It is still good. Which reminds me, I have to tape it as I am on late shifts this week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I used to love watching Masterchef too, although I haven't watched the last few seasons. I do like travel/cooking shows.

      Delete
  6. Your youngest son did a wonderful job with his flower arranging, he should be proud of himself. Added The Housekeeper and the Professor to my want to read list. Sounds wonderful. Hope you are having a great week so far & happy early birthday next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy the book. Thank you for the birthday wishes.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jayne!
    I hope the rain lets up for you. I love the vintage pattern you're working on - absolutely nailed it! 😉 And your son did a great job with the flowers. I love the netflix suggestions. I'm going to have to check those out. I love Roger in Outlander so even if just one season I'd like it. And nailed it looks awesome! Lol
    Blessings on the rest of your week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete