Sunday 19 July 2020

Let's Head Over To November 1932



It is time to move on to November 1932. Once again, I have access to this issue through my membership with the Knitting and Crochet Guild UK
And with many thanks to the wonderful Barbara at the Guild, who kindly scanned these pages for me. Barbara has a wonderfully interesting blog, Knitting Now And Then, or visit on Instagram, @barbaraknitsagain, for lots of vintage inspiration.

Let's see what knits were in the second issue of Stitchcraft!


"The great importance of the little coat" - two knitted short coat patterns.



A jumper for the teens.


I love this baby outfit with the little duckies.


And make a little doll pullover, maybe as a Christmas stocking gift.


As this was the November issue, knitters would have been thinking about knitted gifts (although if it was me, I would need the patterns printed in the August issue to have enough time to finish!)



I'm sorry but if the men I was knitting for were that critical, they would not be receiving this sleeveless pullover or these golf stockings from me! 

From this issue, I have narrowed it down to these two patterns, both of which appear on the magazine cover.


The original is knitted in scarlet and white, so the pattern is titled 'Scarlet and White - a gay colour scheme for grey November days.' Colour is the big decision to make with this one! 

Maybe pale green and dark green?



Or pale grey and navy blue? 




Or even navy and orange! 




Choices! Let me know what you think would look good together. I'm sure you have other ideas that I have not even thought of.

I will be using Bendigo Luxury 4 ply again, so the colours available are here, if you would like to take a look and give me some ideas!



As you can tell, I do like a neck tie! 

This is called 'The Charm of Simplicity - a demure little jumper in an easily knitted pattern.' 

As it says in the pattern description, you need to look at the cover photo to properly see the colours in this pattern.

"It is a pity that owing to the fact that blue and grey photograph alike, the striped pattern of this charming little jumper does not show up in this illustration of it."

The colours used in the cover jumper are pale blue and beige, which are the colours I would probably use. 

Tell me which pattern you would choose and the colours you think it would look great in. I look forward to hearing your ideas and starting some more vintage knitting!  



6 comments:

  1. When I saw the two green yarns I said to myself "ooo I like that." Then when I saw the navy and white I said the same thing. I am liking lemon and navy at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like each new colour combination I choose better than the one before! I have never thought to put lemon and navy together.

      Delete
  2. The first time I read 'Men who are critical', I read it as if they were being on death's door! It only took me five goes to realise it meant something else. Or did it...

    What about scarlet and pink?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it from the medical perspective! It is for women who are 'grappling with the knotty question of Christmas gifts for masculine friends and relations.' Obviously men are considered more fussy!
      Another colour combo I would never have thought of - so many choices!

      Delete
  3. I love all the vintage patterns, the greens are perfect. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am leaning towards green as I do not have a green jumper in my wardrobe.

      Delete