Sunday 23 August 2020

The Diamonds Are Coming Along Nicely

 


I have started knitting the Diamonds Are Trumps jumper from Stitchcraft November 1932.

I am up to the second time through the pattern repeat and it is very easy to keep track of, despite the written out instructions.



As I mentioned last week, I am using Bendigo Woollen Mills Classic 3ply which is a tighter twist than the Luxury 4ply I usually use. 
It is looking a bit 'stringy', if that makes sense. I have seen vintage jumpers knitted in this yarn on Instagram and they look great. So I am assuming the blocking will make all the difference. 


This will also be due to the fact that the pieces are knitted flat, which involves purling back in colourwork. 
But I want to keep to the patterns in my Adventures In Stitchcraft project, to get the true vintage feel of the garments. 
I'm sure it will all come out in the wash, as we say!

And here is something to read from November 1932.


Here you can read most of the articles from the November 1932 issue of Vanity Fair. 

Adolf Hitler made the cover as there was a general election held in Germany on 6th November. The Nazi party saw its vote share fall by 4%, with the loss of 34 seats. 
Unfortunately, these were the last free and fair all-German elections held before the Nazis seized power in January 1933. The next free elections were not held until 1946 in East Germany and 1949 in West Germany. The next free all-German elections were not until December 1990 after reunification.

The lead up to World War II had definitely begun.



2 comments:

  1. I love that you try to knit vintage patterns as close to the original as possible. That's what I do too!
    Miss M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I grew up knitting from my mum's patterns from the 60s, so I guess I am used to it! I actually prefer written instructions to charted for most patterns as that is what I learned from.

      Delete