Saturday 15 August 2020

VP Day - We Will Remember Them

 



Whether you call it VP (Victory in the Pacific) or VJ (Victory over Japan) Day, today marks the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II, with the surrender of the Japanese.



Here in Victoria, we cannot commerate the day with any official ceremonies due to COVID lockdown.

The Victorian government posted some activities to do from home, including some paper bunting.

I have been working on my Victory Jumper and am really pleased with the progress so far.  



It really needs to be stretched out to see the pattern properly, but you get the idea! 
It is a very easy pattern to memorise as it is only a two row repeat and one of the rows is just purl. I am looking forward to it being finished and to wear it for the 76th anniversary when hopefully these crazy times have settled down. 



From a population of just 7 million, almost 1 million Australians served in World War II. Nearly 40,000 Australians lost their lives fighting for their country.

We will remember them.


2 comments:

  1. As I sit here reading your post on VP Day I am watching a documentary on the ABC about the war in the Pacific and the celebrations all around Australia at the end of the war. I remember all the stories my darling mum used to tell me, as she was in the AWAS. Your Victory jumper is coming along beautifully; love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to look for that on iView. You mum must have had so many wonderful stories from that time.

      Delete