Wednesday 12 August 2020

Unraveled Wednesday

 Joining in for the knitting and reading with As Kat Knits for Unraveled Wednesday.

I missed a week or two there due to lots of happenings so you think I would have more knitting progress to show. Sadly that is not the case!

Due to an increase in coronavirus in my state, I had to pull my sewing machine from the cupboard and get to sewing some masks.

My son had his 12th birthday last week and in our state it is now mandatory to wear a mask if you are 12 or over.

So happy birthday to my Eddy Bear - here is your mask! 

Many lost celebrations this year. Hopefully his 13th will be an improvement!

Knitting wise, most of my projects have had little movement. Sewing took up some time and my own tendency to jump from project to project also contributed. 

So what did I do? I started a new project, of course! 


It is VP (Victory in the Pacific) or VJ (Victory Over Japan) Day on 15th August and I have wanted to knit the Victory Jumper for sooooo long. I purchased the yarn a month or so ago and have finally cast it on.

I am using the traditional colours, but am using cream instead of white. I am neary finished the rib and am excited to start the pattern.

The Victory Jumper is a free pattern, available here in the Victoria and Albert Museum's 1940s knitting pattern collection. 

I will also be casting on the next pattern for my Adventures In Stitchcraft project. This jumper is from Issue 2 of the magazine, from November 1932. 


I am thinking this pattern will be fiddly but relatively easy. 

And then I will keep adding slowly to my other projects (which I didn't bother to photograph yet again - I will when there is some progress to show!)


My current reading is Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. 

There are lots of books at the moment, retelling or reinterpreting Greek mythology. So I was happy to come across this one based on Mayan mythology and folklore. It is set in the 1920s in Mexico and the main character has to undertake a journey with the Mayan god of death and help him recover his throne from his treacherous brother. I am really enjoying it so far (I am about halfway into the book). I particularly love mythology about the interaction between mortals and gods/goddesses. And the descriptions of Art Deco Mexico City are splendid! 

I had to look up some photos of Art Deco architecture in Mexico City.



The attention to detail was just fabulous in that era. 

I also finished reading Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster aloud to the boys.


This is a delight of a book. It paints a vivid picture of Victorian London and the children who worked as climbers, cleaning the chimneys of the well-to-do. A wonderful book for children to learn more about childrens' lives in the past without it being too much like a lecture. 

The relationship between Nan, the climber, and her golem, Charlie, is so beautiful. The pathos of the ending is reminiscent of Charlotte's Web (we know we all cried at that!). I found my voice catching as I was reading the last chapter - the boys always ask me if I am crying when we read aloud! 

Truly a lovely book.

What are you knitting and reading? I hope you are keeping well, whatever you are currently doing. 

8 comments:

  1. Goodness gracious me! It is such a different year and your post has really bought this home to me. I wonder if wearing a mask will end up becoming a rite of passage? - Turn 12 and get to wear your first mask. - Will tween girls start wearing masks to make themselves appear older? Such musings! No doubt I am merely a bit tired having only arrived home from work a little while ago.
    You are right about many lost celebrations this year. It is sad to think about what our young people have had to forego this year.
    I love the Art Deco period.
    Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will definitely never forget 2020! We have really only missed birthdays this year - thankfully we have had no other significant events that we had to miss. I feel for all the graduates who had no ceremonies, weddings that had to be cancelled and particularly funerals that people were unable to attend.

      Delete
  2. Knitting? You must be joking right? Not in those temperatures we are having at the moment. It is absolutely horrid here.

    We are slowly doing more to remember the end of the war in the East. When I did my genealogy research, I found one person who had died in Indonesia in 1943. After some more research, I realised he had actually died in Burma on the railway line due to beri-beri. Nobody in my family knew anything about him, but fortunately a cousin of my father's is the half brother of this young man and he provided me with the information he had (less than what I had) and a photo. This makes this remembrance more poignant for me now. This young man who was in the prime of his life and looked like such a healthy man.

    Once the weather gets to be a bit better (read much cooler), I might get to grips with making some masks. There is a second peak coming and I want to have some ready just in case we have to wear them going to the shops and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly feel for you - I hate the hot weather. Luckily it is cold and raining here and knitting in front of the open fire is my favourite winter activity!
      How special that you were able to find out more about your relative so he can be remembered for his sacrifice.

      Delete
    2. I was glad I was able to provide his direct family (one still living sister and several half-siblings) with more information about where and how he died. From January I can access his military records as well, so I might be able to provide them with even more.

      Delete
    3. That must be a real blessing for them.

      Delete
  3. In our state you have to wear a mask if you are 5 or older. I made some cute masks for our 3 year old grandson and see lots of small children wearing them. Hope the birthday celebration goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be better if children wore them as well but as it is not compulsory most are not.

      Delete