Tuesday 18 April 2017

Couch Grass Is Not My Friend

Couch grass has to be the worst plant ever. I'm sorry, I am quite happy to find a use for everything, but I challenge anyone to come up for a positive use for couch grass. It is a weed, no matter what place it is in!




This variation of the quote exactly describes couch grass!




It invades our backyard veggie garden constantly. For the past three years, I have told hubby that I WILL win against the couch grass and rid the garden of it entirely. He just shakes his head and lets me try. I have been determined that couch grass will not get the best of me. But I think I will have to concede defeat. It has beaten me! There is no way that I can eradicate it - I can only hope to keep on top of it before it inundates every other plant. This is not easy, as I am fairly sure it grows as soon as you turn your back on it!


Do you have couch grass? Or do you have a different weedy nemesis to battle?



5 comments:

  1. We had couch grass at our house when I was a kid. I remember Dad going around the edges with a lawn edging rotary blade thing. You know, back before the days of whipper snippers.

    We don't have couch where I live now...but we have plenty of other weeds. If it's not the couch it would be something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling, bindweed is something I feel I am always finding and digging up, the quote is very true and made me giggle as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I have couch grass in my garden and I'm sure that there is no solution to getting rid of it. I just pull it up on a regular basis so that it doesn't strangle all the plants. Whilst Googling for possible remedies, I found that you can actually buy it on eBay!!! Who on earth would want to buy it??? Oooohhh perhaps I could make my fortune by advertising my couch grass for sale at excessive prices?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is edible... you could treat it as a crop..... I don't fancy the idea myself but I suppose if you really had to ....:-)

    http://www.naturalmedicinalherbs.net/herbs/e/elytrigia-repens=couch-grass.php

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cough grass is quite a stalwart of the medical herbalist. It is really good for Uterine infections and the tincture can help reduce the risk of infection in men with prostate problems. If you make a tea with the bright white roots, it actually tastes quite refreshing. Yes, I know it's a pain. I have it all over my herb beds and it's the very devil to dig up but if you garden organically you could enter into an agreement with your local medical herbalist or start a relationship with a herbalist in central London who has no time or inclination to grow things for herself. It's easy to vilify the plant but it does have its uses.

    ReplyDelete