Wednesday 21 January 2015

A Book From The Happy List and Some Gorgeous Yarn

Joining with Ginny at Small Things today for Yarn Along.


Due to the move, I really haven't been doing any knitting but some gorgeous yarn arrived in the mail. It is the Madelinetosh Care colourway, sock yarn made to benefit Doctors Without Borders. Beautiful yarn for an amazingly worthwhile cause.
Please note, this yarn was purchased in 2014 (before the Year of No Superfluous Spending began), lucky for me! It is a lovely last addition to my yarn stash.
And just finished reading The Heart of the Family by Elizabeth Goudge. I absolutely adored this trilogy. And was very happy to see it make Ginny's Happy List, which I will be reading through myself. There are some old favourites there that I have been reminded would be great to re-read and some new ones that I will look forward to exploring. 

My favourite quote from The Heart of the Family:

' her creativeness found its joy in the shaping of everyday life to a form of comeliness, so that it became not just something that one put up with, but something that was enjoyable and lovely in itself.'

It is not just our generation that is saying that the everyday moments are the ones that count!



Now, to find a pattern for this yarn. Sometimes, when I buy yarn so special, I simply don't know what to do with it. I am almost too scared to commit it to a pattern as it looks so lovely in the skein. Is that just me or do others suffer this too?

Also reading the latest Above Rubies magazine that arrived in the mail yesterday. Just love the cover photo!




22 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, so sorry! I accidentally hit the wrong button and deleted your lovely comment. That's what you get for blogging at 1.30 in the morning! Does anyone know how to get them back?

      Delete
  2. Well your title doesn't lie. That is some beautiful yarn! Thanks for popping in on my blog today! Wasn't Ginny's happy list so great? I will add this book to my own list. Thanks also for the note about Mill on the Floss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now what to do with it?! I did love the Happy List - I got some great ideas and I may have to give Middlemarch a go as I haven't read it in years. Also anything by Charles Dickens I love.

      Delete
  3. no idea how to get a deleted comment back...too bad! I also noticed Ginny's happy list and am needful of reading happy books, too. Not that I've been reading WWI books like her (although my hubby is), but the news of the day is so stark. I'm reading the Mitford series which is definitely happy, homey, and uplifting. LOVE your yarn. I knit a lovely skein of MadTosh into a Hitchhiker allowing the simplicity of the pattern display the beauty of the yarn. Happy reading and knitting (pun intended!),
    xo Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I haven't got to the Mitford books yet - so many people recommend them. I will make it a goal for 2015! The Hitchhiker looks great. I have a similar pattern for a garter stitch shawl with a ruffled edging that I was thinking might show the yarn up well.

      Delete
  4. Hello, I discovered your lovely blog from the yarn along. Your new yarn is beautiful. I have never knitted with Madeline Tosh yarn before but I hear it's great. I'm sure you will find an appropriate pattern to use with this special yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Great to meet new people through the blogging world. No one in my real world really 'gets' talking about yarn (a house of all boys!) so it is lovely to have this place to chat.

      Delete
  5. I feel the same way about beautiful yarn, especially because I do not buy expensive yarn often. Lately I've just taken to deciding a pattern before buying yarn but that only works because I don't live near a LYS and so my yarn mainly comes in the mail!

    I just fiund elizabeth goudge earlier this year wirh The Scent of Water (after seeing it on someones yarn along post actually!) and oh I loved it and really need to pick up more of her books. I need to check out Ginnys list still since it would be a good point for a reading plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I haven't read that one. I will have to see if the library has it. Expensive yarn can make me stress a bit - the pressure of not messing it all up! I think I'll go simple shawl.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks. Hoping to feature it soon in Yarn Along! Just looking through patterns.

      Delete
  7. I wish I could just reach into your blog and touch the yarn it looks beautiful. I haven't heard of this book but I am going to take a look. Your right the cover of the magazine is wonderful, it just screams happy.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is she is not actually spinning in that photo! Or maybe it is just me that spins hunched over with a terrible look of concentration!

      Delete
  8. The yarn looks lovely! I also sometimes don't want to "take the yarn apart" because it looks so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is gorgeous! But I am determined that I will knit up all my lovely skeins rather than be scared of using them.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous yarn indeed! I also love that cover photo... I hope to spin someday! Have a lovely week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I never seem to get time to spin. I think it will be something for when the children are older!

      Delete
  10. Hmm glad this was purchased last year !!!! :-). I got my Above Rubies too and just adore the cover photo. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just managed to sneak this yarn in! Above Rubies is wonderful; I still have all my back issues.

      Delete
  11. I get 4 copies and give one to my married daughter and now my youngest is reading them. Blessings to you Jayne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing that is. Wonderful that your youngest is reading them as well.

      Delete