Friday 23 January 2015

Finished Something Really Small For This Friday

The house is still at sixes and sevens, the kids are on summer school holidays, we all have a terrible lingering cold and due to all this, very little knitting is being done. 

So just something very small that I knitted up yesterday, as I desperately needed some new dishcloths, even though, as you can from this previous post, I actually have quite a few knitted up already. But do you think I can find them in the boxes? I could, however, find this ball of yarn and some needles!



Love my rooster teacup from Miss Ballerina for Christmas. Excuse the background! The tiles haven't been done yet.
The pattern is called Sploshy Washcloth and it is a free pattern from Chocolate Mints In A Jar. I used this ball of, I think, Lily Sugar N' Cream, as the ball band was missing. Lovely summery colours.



Then I cast on for Noni's Favourite Dishcloth Pattern, a free pattern from Laws of Knitting. Only have this much completed.



I would love to hear how everyone washes their dishcloths to keep them lovely and soft. Obviously I am doing something wrong as they end up quite hard and scrunchy after a while. Maybe I shouldn't wash them in the washing machine?

Whirlwind has also been knitting, working away at his rainbow scarf. Love the way he lounges while knitting. If I sat like that, my back would be so sore!





Linking to Fibre Arts Friday at Wisdom Begins In Wonder and to Freshly Finished Friday at Hardknitlife.

16 comments:

  1. I usually crochet dishcloths I have never knitted them and I use cotton. My eldest daughter and I found a cotton jumper at the op shop and she pulled it apart and I crocheted them up (I think I got the better deal). I love it that you are teaching your boys to knit, great job. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do need to learn to crochet - just something I have never got round to. I love when you get a bargain like that and repurpose it into something useful. He loves his knitting, that boy! We had to go into town today and he took it to knit in the car. Don't know where he would have got that idea from!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I've crocheted them, but always give them as gifts..I've actually never used one...and too funny the way your son knits...my arms would be sore...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use mine all the time - love them! I don't know how he doesn't get sore, but he knitted like that this afternoon for over an hour!

      Delete
  3. I love something quick! Although quick never seems to really be quick for me. I have been knitting soap holders with my extra cotton yarn, that is something I can accomplish quickly, and it uses so little yarn, it works well for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea. Do you put the soap in it and then wash with the cloth? I'll have to look them up as I always have lots of bits of cotton left over.

      Delete
  4. lovely dish clothes, mine get hard and scratchy as well and to combat that, I knit more :) Love that mug!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my normal solution as well - always good to have some more knitting that i 'have' to do! I love all things chicken - currently have 45 chickens, most are young ones coming on.

      Delete
  5. We don't use anything but hand knit dishcloths. They are simply the best! Love your sweet boy knitting...precious. I wash my dishcloths in the machine but to dry I lay a softener sheet on top of the dryer, lay the wet cloth on top of the sheet and they dry in no time, are soft and smell really good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I have never heard of that way to dry dishcloths. I will have to try it out.

      Delete
  6. The thought of moving a household again makes me twitch! I know we will downsize when our girls are gone, but can't say I am looking forward to a move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is hard work. I had to make some hard decisions as to what I really, really love and had to let go of a lot of things that I didn't really want to. But I guess, in the long run, it will be worth it. But no yarn went! I still have lots and lots of plastic crates in the garage. MUST KEEP KNITTING!!!

      Delete
  7. So impressed that you made a dishcloth in a day! I knit sooo slowly! I have made Noni's favorite before, I love that pattern. I also love your cheerful yarn! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've finished the Noni's Favourite now and that is a great pattern too. I like the textured dishcloths best, so I'm sure I'll be making these again. Only able to make it in a day as we had to drive a five hour round trip!

      Delete
  8. These look great!! A finished project is a finished project :) I don't think I've ever made dishcloths, but when I wash/dry other cotton items, I usually machine wash and lay flat to dry. Thanks for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the drying is my problem as I hang them to dry on the line. Maybe too much sunshine can be a bad thing for some items! I will definitely try the laying flat with my new dishcloths.

      Delete