Sunday 15 March 2020

Adventures In Stitchcraft - Fashions of 1932

And now let's have fun with the fashions of 1932.

One of the big fashion events of 1932 was the controversy sparked by Marlene Dietrich's appearance at a film premiere wearing trousers! 



Congress had to decide whether the new styles violated the law forbidding women to 'masquerade as men'. Ultimately Congress declared that the wearing of trousers by women was not done so as to deceive anyone as to their sex. 

Wide legged, high waisted trousers came into fashion, but they were still worn mainly for sportswear or casual wear. In keeping with the casual theme, nautical motifs were popular and some trousers were designed with very exaggerated wide legs, called beach pyjamas.



1932 also saw the beginning of the ready made fashion industry. This made clothing much more affordable in a time of economic hardship. Artificial silk and the introduction of zippers also helped to reduce the cost. 

Slim lines were favoured and hats were small. A more minimalist approach to clothing was taken due to the Depression.



Women wanted to emulate the Hollywood movie stars in their makeup and hair. This is a how-to guide from 1932 to help you achieve that Hollywood look.






I recently purchased these books from Book Depository. I purchased the Thirties, Forties and Fifties as these are my favourite eras. 



The books are a collection of pages from Sears catalogues of the era and make a fantastic resource, particularly as they include mens' and childrens' clothing as well. It is also useful that they have the year on each page.

Here are some pages from 1932. 





Very stylish! 

And now for a look at the very first issue of Stitchcraft - Issue 1 from October 1932. Many thanks again to Barbara and the Knitting and Crochet Guild UK for making these available for members. All of the following images come from the downloadable copy from KCG. 



As I mentioned above, zippers were a new item, as seen in this ad.


 And the description for this golf coat that you can knit from the issue, says: "Zipp" fasteners live up to the modern ideal of combining the decorative and the sternly practical, and all the nicest sports woollies are using them now that they can be had in a specially light weight."

Knits on and off the big screen.



I always love the ads - if only I looked like the lady below when I needed maternity clothing! 


Knitted underwear set, anyone?



There are two items that I am particularly interested in from this issue. One is this lovely knitted jumper. I agree with the description of this as being an "altogether charming affair."



Or I am quite in love with this canvas covered wooden pouffe. It is "designed for double duty" as part of "the vogue of two-in-one furniture." They suggest it can be used to hold "the piles of socks and stockings awaiting mending", which appeals to me as mine are all over the place. 
It will also contribute to my plan of refurbishing my home in a more vintage style. 
I will have to make the wooden box first - surely I can do that! 



What do you think? Which project appeals to you?





4 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore those Sears catalog pages! Oh my goodness, how darling! I'm a 1950s girl, myself, so am intrigued by that book. I may have to track down a copy. I have 2 skirts and 3 blouses made from 1950s patterns and they are simply wonderful. I love the idea of the knitted jumper. I need to knit myself an ivory cardigan that I can wear with my blouses and I think ivory might go with all of them. If I manage it, it will be my first knitted cardigan. I may end up with an entire retro wardrobe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 50s as well - Dior's New Look is gorgeous. The books are great - they are literally just pages from the catalogues of each year. I haven't done any sewing for ages and have never tried a blouse. An ivory cardigan would be gorgeous, maybe with little pearl buttons. I hope you manage to knit it. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. Yes, it must have little pearl buttons!

      I will say, the collar pattern for the blouse was difficult the first time, but I got better with each one. They kind of have that pointed collar that Lucille Ball wore so much in I Love Lucy. :)

      Delete