Saturday 14 March 2020

Keep Calm


I am sure you have seen this iconic poster and the myriad spin offs that have been produced. 
The original was a 1939 motivational poster produced by the British government to encourage the British public to maintain its morale as the effects of World War II were starting to be felt. It perfectly encapsulates the British 'stiff upper lip' and their ability to keep calm no matter what is thrown at them.
What is most interesting though is that this poster was rarely displayed and was little known until a copy was rediscovered in a bookshop in 2000. Since there have been many spin offs and merchandise relating to its message. 

With my love of the 1940s and the history of the British home front, this message is perfect for conveying how I feel about the current crisis. The only response is to try and keep calm rather than reacting with panic. Understandably, it is natural to feel panic and fright at the events around the world, particularly as they are unfolding so quickly. We feel out of control of the whole situation. 

In Australia, we have been relatively unaffected, compared to the Northern Hemisphere, but undoubtably we will also see increases in the numbers infected and more government measures brought in to attempt to slow the spread.

So during this crisis and as we wait to see what else unfolds, this is what I will be doing:




I am trying to see it as an opportunity to quietly go about some jobs at home and make this a time of achieving some projects I have not been able to get to previously. And if the schools are closed, it will be the perfect opportunity for some family time. I hope that you will all be able to do the same. I realise it is easier for me to say this than some people, who were unable to access all the supplies they need at the supermarket and are facing shortages in their homes. I really hope this situation will be resolved and that everyone is able to purchase what they need. All the people affected by this virus, in whatever way, are in our thoughts and prayers. 

My hope is that you and your families are all well and that you are safe and secure. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you're not too affected by the crisis yet. That's excellent news.

    I'm in Colorado and a few things are starting to close down. My sister's work may shut down next week, but they're paying their staff if that happens, which is a blessing. I began working solely from home starting Friday. Church services and major entertainment events have been postponed or canceled or live-streamed. It's an odd thing to be in the middle of.

    But I'm not panicking, which is good. We do what we can and just trust that whatever happens will happen. I will forewarn you, though, if you start to see an increase in concern in Australia, make sure to get a couple of extra things of toilet paper. That's the first thing that flew off the shelves here. Of course, we have scalpers taking advantage, too, so that's a whole other problem.

    But I wish you and your family good health. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the toilet paper crisis! That has been going on here since last week. People wait at the supermarket for the truck delivery to arrive! And then it is a one pack limit. Our supermarket shelves are starting to empty of other things too. We also have all major events cancelled - sporting events are going ahead so they can televise them but with no crowds. Schools are still open - for now.
      It is fortunate that you are able to work from home. We are being encouraged to do that wherever it is possible.
      I hope you keep safe and well.

      Delete