Sunday 7 June 2020

Adventures In Stitchcraft - The Jumper Is Growing!


'With Angora Tie' is coming along nicely. It is a very simple pattern to follow. It is difficult to see properly as it is most definitely a pattern that scrunches up as you knit and will need blocking to show to its full glory. 


I pinned it out a bit to be able to see it better (not very straight though!)


I have never knitted such a deep neckline before so I am interested to see how this all comes together. Even though it is a size 34", it is very stretchy.



Definitely need a top under this one!
The front only used 70g of the 4ply yarn - one of the reasons I love knitting with 3 or 4ply. Another reason being that I do not feel the cold much so thicker jumpers are no good for me. They just make me uncomfortable. If I want to wear my knitting, I need to use thinner yarns.


I have been thinking that as part of the Stitchcraft adventure, I will also attempt a recipe from each issue. 
I am thinking that I will attempt one of the more bizarre recipes (and there are some strange ones - what is it with the 1950s obsession with Jell-O?!) and also make one that there is a possibility that the family may actually eat it!

That being said, here is the recipe page from the October 1932 issue of Stitchcraft. Thank you again to KCG (Knitting and Crochet Guild UK) for this copy which is available as part of my membership. 


There are actually no strange recipes in this issue - I think my family would be happy to eat any of these puddings! I am unlikely to ever have four stale sponge cakes available, so I think the Syrup Charlotte is out! 

The weather has been quite cold and I have not made a steamed pudding in a long time, so I am looking forward to giving one of these recipes a go. 




And just a fun video to finish up - the 1971 CWA (Country Womens Association) speed knitting competition. The contestant from Western Australia is using her controversial European technique - the scandal! 




10 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm impressed! I don't knit. I did an afghan years ago, but no fancy stitches like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! It is really quite easy, especially as the pattern has line by line instructions.

      Delete
  2. I am so impressed with your work! Wow! Your sweater is beautiful and elegant. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am happy with the progress so far and it seems it might fit.

      Delete
  3. Pretty colour wool and nice pattern too. I'm the opposite to you I feel the cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Most people are the opposite of me. I am used to be looked at weirdly as the cooler weather approaches and everyone already has their beanies out and I am still in T-shirts!

      Delete
  4. Love a vintage pattern, looks beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love the vintage patterns - some more arrived in the mail today!

      Delete
  5. Nice top so far I like the knitting stitch! Haha I like the vintage recipes and the knitting speed competition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am looking forward to trying out some of the vintage recipes. There are certainly some crazy ones!

      Delete