Thursday 4 June 2020

Let's Talk Routine

Routine - do you have one? 



We have all seen those blog posts and Youtube videos about 'I lived for a day/week/month as a 1950s housewife'. Google it and thousands of entries come up.

And while we may not want to follow all the advice from 1950s manuals, I do appreciate the routine chores lists that these manuals contain. 

As I'm sure is the case for many others, my routine has undergone a few alterations in these crazy times. And I have been somewhat lax in establishing a new one. My primary focus has been the boys' schooling so I have pretty much been fitting my other chores in around this. Which has been fine - everyone has been fed, has clean clothes and bedding and a relatively clean house. But it is the 'extras' that have been dropped from the routine - don't even look at the ceiling fans! Lucky it is winter and we are not using them or they would just fling dust at people! 




When I used to homeschool 'officially', I was much more organised, I promise! But as this was just a temporary arrangement, I decided to go with the flow somewhat and not stress too much about the deep cleaning. 

My other problem is that I am a ditherer, a procrastinator. If I do not have a list to 'tell' me what to do, I tend to jump from one thing to the next and not settle down to actually achieving anything. 

So now it is time for a revamp of the routine to make sure I can fit everything in.

Here is what I am wondering - I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments.

  • Do you do one activity per day or spread them out over the five days so there is a little bit of something on each day?
  • Do you schedule your own 'fun' activities, such as reading or crafting, to make sure there is a spot for them? Or just hope you can fit them in the little extra pockets of time?



I am definitely a proponent of meal planning. I definitely find that the days run much smoother if I have meals planned out and do not have to think about them every day. 

Maybe not these 1950s meals though! 

And I need to fit in at least one day a week to work on my Etsy shop. Luckily I do this from home so I can fit in other things around it.

So this week I will take a look around the house and make some lists. And check out some of the many vintage cleaning routines online and see what I can pull together. 

How have your routines been during these crazy times? (my official term for that which must not be named!)


8 comments:

  1. I am very much a routine person:-) I have my own chores for each day of the week like the old-fashioned towels: Porcelains on Wednesday, Friday floors etc. We are "essential" so my routine has remained the same other than a couple of oddities due to specific places being closed. So glad things are beginning to reopen.
    So where are you (Australia?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am in Australia. Things are starting to reopen here too. I love those tea towels! I have a few patterns that I want to embroider. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I am a routine person too. My routines haven't changed because I'm a nurse and have been working through this.
    I am a huge menu planner. I have been planning for most of our married life. I write my menus on little calendars and keep several years worth. I can look back and see what we were doing, because any vacations or outings are marked. I also find it very handy to look back for ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the work you do - nurses are so valuable. My meal planning is much more sporadic than yours! That is a great system as you will be able to remember recipes when people request them.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I am a routine person. I try and take advantage of what the day brings. So if it is too hot or too windy to work in the garden I will work inside - whether that be housework, cooking/baking, planning, expenditure tracking, bible study, craft etc. I do need to keep lists even though I would prefer not to, otherwise I just sort of stand around thinking "I am sure there is something I could be doing...". And the inside activities depend on circumstances and time of day too, my brain is more active in the mornings so that is a good time for study for me.
    My routines have changed this year in responses to changes in my environment. I go to my secular job as normal. I stopped helping with church admin in March. I used to help with the church admin a little each week but that was done from a little corner in the Pastors bike shop, so the restrictions put a stop to that. However around the same time my veggie garden restarted itself growing pumpkins, tomatoes and peas so I joined in and planted some other veggies and have spent more time in the garden.

    If I find I am not spending time doing something I really want to do, something that nourishes my soul, then I add it to the list for that day and make it a priority. Being an eternal optimist I always expect I can get more done in a day than I really can and so I have to work at not being too hard on myself regarding what is left undone. Rhonda from Down to Earth advises to consider your craft work e.g. Knitting, Crochet, Sewing etc as part of your housework. This is one method of ensuring it gets a higher priority than it might otherwise do. Just because we enjoy an activity does not mean it should have a lower priority than other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful reply! I tend to do the standing around or I will flit aimlessly, which is why I think I definitely need a daily list, if nothing else. Isn't Rhonda wonderful? I have both of her books and that is the first place I plan to look for ideas.

      Delete
  4. Hi sweet Jayne! I've read so many housekeeping books. I read them and longed for choices and order in regard to a clean house, but the problem was that my priority was our four kids and NOT the cleaning. Now that our kids are grown, it's much easier and it will be for you someday, too. The only thing I do every day is make the bed, drink coffee while I read and write, and eat. Ha! Everything else just gets done when it needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! I have had kids in the house for so long now, I cannot imagine ever having it too easy! Luckily I am not obsessive about things being perfect (as they definitely are not!) I would much prefer to put the priority elsewhere.

      Delete