Sunday 28 June 2020

Is This Our Last Week in October 1932?




So close, we are so close! 
The first sleeve is finished and I am on to the second sleeve. Will there be a finished object for next week?!



I love looking at popular culture of the times and how people were living. Magazines are a fantastic way to get a real feel for the era, in all areas - fashion, movies, reading, travel, homewares, recipes, popular culture.

Here are some magazine covers from October 1932. Let me know which is your favourite and why! Which one would you like to read?





















Something here for everyone!

And thanks to Barbara and the Knitting and Crochet Guild UKI now have a copy of the knitting patterns from the November 1932 issue of Stitchcraft. Iis always so hard to choose - I have at least three items in mind from thiissue! 


10 comments:

  1. So many to choose from Jayne. The Farmers Wife looks very interesting and one would expect with a title like that it would be full of useful information. I really like the green necklace that Ann Dvorak is wearing on the cover of Motion Picture, that illustration really grabbed my attention. Breezy Stories also caught my interest because it reminded me of when at high school for PE we used to walk to the nearby golf course to learn golf, and one day I got caught on the barbed wire fence in much the same manner of the illustration on the cover of that magazine. I was passing through the fence to bring back my golf ball which I had hit out of the golf course. I had to be rescued from the barbed wire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story - although probably not at the time! Thank you for identifying the actress on the cover of Motion Picture. I looked her up after reading your comment and she was in Scarface, which was a controversial movie of 1932. Probably why she was on the cover.

      Delete
  2. These are very interesting to see. I would like to read the Good housekeeping of that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the home magazines of the period too. So interesting to see what they were cooking and how they were furnishing their homes.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to know what the parenting advice from 1932 was like. So, I think I'll choose Parenting Magzine.

    I got that when my kid was little. I didn't realize it went that far back in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is probably some very interesting advice in a vintage parenting magazine!

      Delete
  4. Oh yes, there is most certainly something for everyone here, Jayne. I have always loved the artwork on the covers on vintage magazines. I smiled at the beauty sitting on the luggage waiting to catch her train or was it a boat. Oh to be dressed like that whilst on holidays! Loving your knitted sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything was just so stylish, wasn't it? That is an Australian travel magazine so wherever she was travelling to would probably have involved a lengthy journey. I love some of the special luggage they had with all the compartments.

      Delete
  5. Those covers are wonderful and your knitting is gorgeous. It's a great pattern and the colour is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete