Sunday 14 June 2020

Still in 1932


The jumper is still growing. I am now up to the first sleeve after completing the front and back. 


I knitted the back while watching the lovely Romeo and Juliet. What a gorgeous movie.

Not sure if you can tell from this photo but I need to knit 9 inches of rib for the sleeves. The rib comes almost to the elbow. I've never seen that before.



And how did the 1932 recipes work out? 




I cooked Hot Chocolate Hedgehog. Can't go wrong with chocolate, right?!


I bought a set of three metal pudding basins a while ago and they make steamed puddings much quicker and easier. I particularly like that you can easily lift the lid and check for doneness, rather than when you use the paper, foil and string method.


I really love my hand beaters. I have been using them for a while now and was surprised to find that it takes pretty much the same amount of time to beat as with the electric beaters. I just get an arm workout as an extra bonus! 


The batter tasted pretty good. Yes, I admit, I did lick the spoon! 


And the finished pudding! It was yummy, very dense and rich. The breadcrumbs made all the difference to the texture. 

I can see that their serving sizes were much smaller than ours. This was a family recipe and when I first read the ingredients I thought it wasn't going to be enough. The amounts were about half a modern recipe's ingredients list. But it was definitely enough. I think it might do the whole family good to go on a 1930s/1940s diet in regards to portion size. Everything nowadays is way too super-sized!






Let me know if you would like to try any of the other recipes and cannot see the photo clearly. I would love you to share if you cooked any of these puddings!

A final question - tea or coffee? Which is your choice? I love my tea. I collect vintage trios which I really should get out and use more often. There is nothing quite as lovely as morning tea from a special cup, saucer and plate. I will have to show you them sometime! 





2 comments:

  1. I agree that we could stand to cut back on serving sizes. I like the hedgehog name of that dessert. I see it has almonds on it and maybe that's why the name.
    I don't drink coffee or tea...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it did have almonds sticking out of it, which with the rounded shape definitely would have looked like a hedgehog! I didn't have any on hand. I don't think I could live without my tea! But I probably should as I drink too much of it.

      Delete