Wednesday 10 June 2020

Unraveled Wednesday

Joining in today with As Kat Knits for Unraveled Wednesday.

I have had a pretty productive week. Lots of new yarn dyeing as I am adding a new colour range of mini skeins to the shop soon so there are skeins of yarn in many colours everywhere. It certainly looks pretty! 


I just sold out of this colourway called In The Deep Dark Woods. I particularly love it as it fits perfectly with my Fairy Tales yarn club that is running at the moment. And the book is a gorgous 1920s fairy tale book. It belonged to my mum and before that to her aunt.


This was the May Fairy Tales mystery yarn club, based on Beauty and the Beast. I debated long and hard about using the obvious colours of blue, gold and brown. But in the end I figured they were too iconic not to use!




And then for my new yarn purchases - naughty me! 


But how on earth could I resist these mini balls of Opal sock yarn?! They are just so cute - I don't want to use them, I just want to sit them in a basket and run my hands through them and look at their prettiness! 



And look at this mama and baby photo! So cute!


Can you tell I love Opal yarn?! Don't even look at my Ravelry account and see how much I have in stash!

I purchased all these yarns from a lovely lady called Kate. Her shop on Etsy is Yarn Stories. She is in Lithuania and even during these times, my parcel only took two weeks to arrive. And she was very helpful. I really wanted to try her 4ply 100% wool as it looks perfect for colourwork, is very reasonably priced and has HEAPS of colour choices but I had forgotten to add one. Kate quickly answered my query and organised for the extra ball to be added to my order. I am looking forward to trying it out. It feels a bit rough and scratchy but I will reserve judgement entirely as this is often the best wool for colourwork as it 'sticks' and it often softens up on washing and wearing. I'll keep you posted! 


Kate's shop also has lots of cross stitch kits, crochet hooks, knitting needles, paint by number kits and more. Well worth taking a look!

Knitting wise, I have been working on the same projects.

I have started the second Waiting For Winter beanie. This should be a quick knit - depending of course of my level of distraction!


Luckily, I like knitting with DPNs as I could not find a circular needle the correct size.

Also working away on my leg warmers. I love how when I stand them up, it looks like a little flared skirt at the bottom (it's the little things, people, the little things!) This is because I cast on the stitches with a bigger needle which gives the stretch for the top of the leg.


This photo of the With Angora Tie looks almost exactly like one I posted a week or two ago. Except the first photo was the front of the jumper and this is the back. Doesn't make for very exciting viewing though!



I also need to work on my WIPs as I have mentioned before. I will try and work on one a week - either finishing it or deciding if it needs to be given up on and ripped out. My Ravelry project page nearly has as many WIPs as finished projects!

That being said, it seems I cannot help myself as I really want to cast on this little cutie.


I might use the leftover wool from the pink jumper as it reminds me of the pussycat hats designed for the Womens' March of 2017. You can read the story of the Pussyhat Project here.


The baby pattern is from one of my mum's pattern books, Patons Knitting Book No R17. I love my mum's note on the front - 'Buttonholes on right side for girls'. Is that still even a thing anymore? I am not sure if people still worry overly much about it. 

Have you been working on much lately? I would love to hear about it. 

6 comments:

  1. Those yarns are scrumptious! I'm glad I'm not the only one who like to just admire such things (I also have fabric that's "too pretty to cut") :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty silly but I have lots of yarn and fabric that almost intimidates me as it is so gorgeous that I don't want to 'ruin' it by making the wrong project!

      Delete
  2. Oh plotz! Opal's Hundertwasser yarns get me every time... and the MINIs!! They're adorable in your basket, and I'm sure they make you smile every time you see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know - I love the Hundertwasser. I also want to get the Claude Monet ones, but I have to wait until I could order from the UK again. Don't ask how many balls of Opal I have - I could kit out my whole town in socks, I'm pretty sure!

      Delete
  3. I like Opal yarn also. Those little mini-skeins look great in a basket. There is nothing wrong with decorating with yarn - I say. Lots of pretty yarn here on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more yarn decorating, the better! I love yarn bombing too - such fun!

      Delete