Wednesday 17 June 2020

Wednesday Hodgepodge






1. Saturday marks the first official day of summer! Your favourite thing about the season? 

Can I say not much?! I  DO NOT like the heat at all! But of course, I am heading into winter so that makes me happy. 
The one thing I do like about summer is that it is long school holidays. 
And the produce available and that I have growing is wonderful. Oh, and sunflowers! I cannot live without growing sunflowers! My son is desperate to grow a Van Gogh field of sunflowers one day.


2. Love it! Labour of love, not for love or money, no love lost, love handles, love does, love-hate relationship, misery loves company, tough love, love will find a way . . . . pick one and tell us hoit applies to your life right now. 

Love handles - don't ask! The combinatioof winter, coronavirus and the boys being home has meant I have slacked off on my usual yoga routine. I knoiis no excuse but there iis. Something I need to remedy from noon.

3. What's one thing currently causing you to seethe? 0ne thing currently making you smile? 

The current state of the world, in so many ways. I think it goes without saying that this is making me seethe. I seesaw between anger, frustration, desperation and sorrow, which I think is probably the feelings of many at the moment.

But there are still so many things that make me smile. My boys (most of the time!), completing a project, my garden, my kitty. Another cliche, but it really is the little things.



4. Of the following to-dos found on a summer checklist, which three would definitely make your personal list of summer want to-dos?

Go berry or peach picking. When we lived near a pick your own strawberry farm, it was our New Year Eve's tradition to go berry picking with the girls. We were not going out and staying up late with little ones after all! 

Go barefoot in the grass. I do not like shoes at the best of time, so in summer I am always barefoot around the house. In winter, I have to put on socks!

Sit on a porch swing. I have always dreamed of having a big verandah with a porch swing to while away some relaxing hours. Maybe I shouldn't get one - it would be too tempting to neglect my work!



5. Thursday is National Splurge Day. What might you splurge on in order to celebrate?

My splurge shopping is usually done in op shops (thrift stores, charity shops) as you can get a real splurge without feeling guilty afterwards about the amount spent! I cannot wait until they reopen. They are one of the only shops that have not reopened here. Being volunteer and many of those volunteers being elderly, it is just not worth the risk. But boy, I have been missing them! 

I am looking forward to renewing my searches for books, vinyl records, vintage knitting patterns, pretty china and anything from the 30s, 40s and 50s.  

6. My random thought





20 comments:

  1. I like your list. That porch swing is looking pretty nice right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have one! And the deep verandah to go with it!

      Delete
  2. The current state of the world is making me very sad.
    I'm not a fan of heat either, and it's getting hot for us.
    I love sunflowers as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just have to keep going and hope that change will come. I dread summer coming every year! But the sunflowers do make up for it somewhat.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I don't think the link was working earlier but it's corrected now if you want to hop over again and add yours. I love the beanie you've made : ) My neighbor has over 90 blueberry bushes in her yard so she's told everyone in the neighborhood they can come pick this week. I am looking forward to that. Also 90 is too many-ha! The previous homeowner put them in and now my friend is trying to figure out how to manage it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just kept refreshing until it worked! Wow, that would be amazing to have that many blueberry bushes. They are so expensive here that if I do buy them, we have to ration them! It would be fabulous to just eat to your heart's content.

      Delete
  4. I planted sunflowers, I hope they're growing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunflowers are my favorite! I used to have them growing all over the place, but haven't had any the last few years. I miss them and the birds they'd draw in. Yay! I'm a thrifter, too. Put me in a thrift store or at a yard sale, estate sale or auction and I'm a happy girl. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunfowers are just so cheerful. Auctions are a danger place for me - I have to be VERY strict with myself and not get carried away!

      Delete
  6. I miss thrift shopping so much too! Have a great summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am hoping they will reopen in the next month or so.

      Delete
  7. The sunflower is my favorite flower but I've never grown them. I agree with your answer for #3. Love your random too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I cannot believe how the world is at the moment, so just trying to focus on the little things.

      Delete
  8. I always forget that Australia is going into winter while we're going into summer here in the U.S.

    Sunflowers are my favorites! I try to grow them every year, but rabbits always end up eating the sprouts

    That porch swing is absolutely dreamy. I'd love to stretch out on it with a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, pretty chilly here at the moment! But I am enjoying my wood heater. That porch swing would be the ultimate for reading, that's for sure!

      Delete
  9. I enjoy that same kind of splurging. It's been a while since I've been in a thrift store. A porch with a swing would be lovely. For us here I think the porch would work best if it was screened in. Thanks for visiting my hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot WAIT to get back to secondhand shopping! I agree with you - the porch swing experience would not be great if there were too many bugs to contend with.

      Delete
  10. Oh Sunflowers.. they make everyone smile. :-)
    I like your idea of going thrifting. Count me in.
    Take Care, Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big thrifting road trip sounds like a plan once this is all over!

      Delete