Tuesday 9 June 2020

The Cold Is Here!

This morning we woke up to the first frost of the year. It does look beautiful. 


Hope my poor daffodil garden bed likes the frost!


But we also had the first lamb born yesterday. Luckily yesterday was sunny and clear; not warm but at least not storming like it was last week.


It is a terrible photo from my phone as mama did not want me anywhere near and I leave them be as much as possible. They know what they are doing!

I did a quick paddock walk this morning but couldn't see mama and bubba. So I am hoping they have found a lovely sheltered corner and will emerge when the frost melts off. 

Today is the first day that all three boys are back at school. So it is just me today. Very quiet!

So it was time for some stirring music. When you need cymbal clashing, Wagner is your man! 

I have been listening to this version of the Ring Cycle, an instrumental only version. As it is on Youtube so needs images, the music is accompanied by the wonderful illustrations by Arthur Rackham.




Arthur Rackham illustrated many books during his lifetime, including many fairy tales, Alice in Wonderland, Gulliver's Travels, Peter Pan, A Christmas Carol, Tales From Shakespeare and any others. I remember growing up with Rackham's illustrations as the backdrop to so much of my reading and I still adore books from that era. The time he was working is known as the Golden Age of British book illustration.

I have been baking today. 


First I made lemon slice, which only uses half a tin of condensed milk. Then rather than putting the other half in the fridge and forgetting about it (I have been known to do that!), I remembered this recipe for condensed milk biscuits. I haven't made these biscuits in ages and the boys love them. I made Milo and 100s and 1000s versions. It is a great recipe and you can make lots of different types of biscuits from the one batch. Be warned - the full recipe is a lot of biscuits! This is half the recipe.

What are you planning for today? Whatever it is, I hope you are safe and well and happy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment